George Roland | Denton Criminal Defense Lawyer

Award Winning Denton Criminal Defense

Motion to Adjudicate/Motion To Revoke

A probation case (motion to adjudicate guilt or “MTAG” and motion to revoke probation or “MTR”) can carry high stakes and harsh penalties. If you have a probation violation case, it is imperative that you immediately hire a lawyer, as you are still on probation until the Court says otherwise.


Both Motions to Adjudicate Guilt and Motion to Revoke Probation, involve the court putting off some aspect of punishment. In a Motion to Adjudicate Guilt, the Court has previously put off convicting you of the offense you were placed on probation for, as well as the penalties (driver’s license suspension) associated with that offense. In a Motion to Revoke Probation, you have already been convicted of the offense, but the Court has previously put off any jail or prison time.


It is important to understand that the basis for the charge that you were placed on probation for cannot be attacked in probation revocation case. Instead, you are entitled only to a limited hearing where the Court will determine if any of the terms of your probation have been violated by you. The standard of proof required to prove a violation is significantly lower than beyond all reasonable doubt—probation cases are determined by a preponderance of the evidence. If any single term has been violated, the Court then decides what the appropriate punishment is. The options the Court has are either to (1) continue you on probation, or (2) adjudicate and sentence you to jail or prison (MTAG) or sentence you to jail or prison (MTR).

Because prison or jail time is always very much on the table for probation cases, and because the standard of proof is so low to prove a violation, you need a lawyer who can challenge the alleged violations and advocate for keeping you on probation. Call 940-323-9308 if you have a probation case today!


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. There are no two cases that are the same. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I welcome the opportunity to serve you and invite your calls, letters and electronic mail. Simply contacting an attorney does not create an attorney-client relationship.